Category: Community

It Takes a Hero

Our hearts and minds reel in stunned disbelief at the images and stories still streaming from the horrific bombing at the Boston Marathon. We simply weren’t built to process this kind of random, awful violence. Yet, these events always bring stirring stories of heroics by both trained professionals who leap into action, and seemingly average […]

Out of Africa

Burundi has the most devastating poverty I’ve ever seen. Broadly considered the world’s poorest nation, it’s the worst poverty anyone has ever seen. The average Burundian lives on $6/week Percentage of population living in poverty is 69% As of 2010 the number of mobile phone users/100 people is 0 Number of people owning personal computers/100 […]

Gift Happens

I probably should have been a Boy Scout. I wasn’t, but I think I would have fit comfortably in line with their motto: Be Prepared. By nature I’ve never liked entering situations where I don’t know what to expect. I prefer to do my best to know in advance, who the audience is, what the […]

Failure to Launch

Perhaps you saw my comment last week on the Men Matter Facebook site in which I quoted radio commentator, Dennis Prager, who said, in reference to the horrific massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School: “The most important thing any society can accomplish is to build good men.” Since then I notice a predictable extreme of […]

Discovering Community

I can think of one benefit of the recent firestorms in Colorado Springs: we’ve reconnected with friends from around the world who have emailed or called to ask how we are. In relating Colorado’s tragedy to friends in Chicago I discovered that there are many layers to a disaster like this. There is the layer […]

Men and Church

I saw this video some time ago, but it’s message is still just as timely, just as challenging. It’s another reason why men matter: they impact the church. CraigMy greatest joy in life is my family. I know, that sounds like the comment you’re supposed to make as a man and father. All I can […]

“Scoring Souls Not Goals”

In recent blogs I’ve discussed both the benefits of Community and of  Competition in sports. This article appeared today on the front page of the CNN online version, reporting on the values of the Charlotte Eagles pro soccer team. It’s amazing to see this discussion presented on a national level. Earlier this summer I had […]

Competition vs. Community

Last week my wife, Beryl, and I hung out with a bunch of old folks. We were just two of them. 6 years ago I started competing in an event called the National Senior Games, with in-state competitions every year, and national competitions every other year. Last week was nationals in Houston, TX with over […]

Just Show Up

For over 35 years I’ve regularly been in speaking situations–whether one-on-one, small group or large gatherings. Almost every time I have hopes that the occasion will be life-changing, memorable, transformational. There’s probably nothing wrong with desiring a positive result. But I really have no right to conclude I know what the best result is. And […]

Getting Out of the Headlights

Not long ago I got together with a group of men who were good acquaintances, but hadn’t seen each other in a while. We wanted to catch up with each other’s personal lives, but I find that when you ask men, “Tell us what’s going on in your life,” they either respond with a deer-in-the-headlight […]