Category: Community

Unlimited? The Challenge of Human Freedom

As we Americans celebrate Independence Day, I urge us to be aware of both the responsibilities we carry, as well as the rights we enjoy, with our freedom. It seems that we often resist the inconvenient demands of the former while insisting on unbridled opportunities for the latter. Too often I see us practicing the […]

You Are Light

As I’ve met with a group of over 50 men on Friday mornings this past year, I John 1:7 has been a core verse for us: “If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from every […]

Racial Redemption

It has been so disturbing recent months to witness the series of events that have brought into glaring spotlight the differences that still separate the races—especially white vs. black—in the United States. We who long for genuine reconciliation and mutual respect, regardless of one’s race, are pierced when young black men are killed by officers […]

The One Common Characteristic

I recently returned to the States from 10 days in Africa to read that yet another act of shocking violence had taken place in an American high school. This time a 16-year-old student stabbed 21 fellow students and a security guard with a knife. Thankfully none were killed. Once again, the American public faced itself […]

Dangerous Play

“What did ‘play’ mean for you as a boy? What does it look like now?” Those were the deceptively profound, seemingly innocent, questions posed to me, and a group of men, at a Brotherhood Adventure last week in the Poudre River Canyon, west of Fort Collins, CO. By the end of the conversation I thought, […]